Subject: proposed new ZEROCONF charter

From: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 18:00:16 +0100

Please send comments on this proposed new charter for the ZEROCONF WG.

The current charter is listed at 
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/zeroconf-charter.html

Change bars show where text has changed.

Description of Working Group:

   The goal of the Zero Configuration Networking (ZEROCONF) Working
   Group is to enable networking in the absence of configuration and
   administration.  Zero configuration networking is required for
   environments where administration is impractical or impossible,
   such as in the home or small office, embedded systems 'plugged
   together' as in an automobile, or to allow impromptu networks as
   between the devices of strangers on a train.

| ZEROCONF will make networking as easy as possible,
   but no easier. In some cases other considerations may dominate
   ease of use.  For example, network security requires some
   configuration which may not be as easy as the unacceptable
   alternative of 'no security.'

| [text omitted]

| The working group originally was orginally chartered to
| develop a requirements specification for host and application
| operation in environments lacking configuration.  The areas
| for consideration included:

   * Interface Configuration (IP address, network prefix,
     gateway router)

   * Name-to-Address Translation

   * Service Discovery

   * Automatic allocation of Multicast Addresses

   * Sufficient security features to prevent networks
     from being any less secure than networks which do not use
     ZEROCONF protocols

| The ZEROCONF WG could not come to a consensus regarding these
| requirements.  A ZEROCONF requirements document will not be
| published by this working group.

| This WG will produce one protocol specification, describing
| automatic generation and assignment of link-local IPv4 addresses
| in environments lacking host configuration (static or using DHCP).
| The document will describe existing practice as well as define
| recommendations for future implementations.

   Goals and Milestones:
   Done    Submit internet-draft to be considered as an Informational RFC
           on Requirements for Zero Configuration Networking.
   Done    Submit Automatic Address Configuration for IPv4 to be considered
           as a Standards Track RFC.
| Jan 03  Submit Revised Automatic Address Configuration for IPv4 draft
|         which has passed WG last call to the IESG for consideration as
|         a Standards Track RFC.