Subject: new issue: [LL38] Remove vestigial link-local only device text

From: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 16:40:06 +0100

We need to evaluate whether to make this change.

===========================================================================
Description of Issue  Remove vestigial link-local only device text
Submitter Name  Thomas Narten
Submitter Email Address  [email-masked]
Date first submitted  04 Nov 03
Reference
Comment Type ['T'echnical | 'E'ditorial]  T
Priority ['S' Must fix | '1' Should fix | '2' May fix ]  S
Section  2.8
Rationale/Explanation of issue:
Lengthy description of problem:

Section 2.8 includes some wording that I suspect is a vestige of
earlier text. E.g.:

 > The non-forwarding rule is important because it is expected that
 > Link-Local-only devices will often be simple devices of the kind that
 > currently use X10 [X10], USB [USB] or FireWire [1394].

The non-forwarding reason is justified for lots of reasons, and has
little to do with LL-only devices.

Second, there is text that talks about LL-only devices, and how it is
important for them that LL traffic not be forwarded off-link. That
text is also suspect, because this document is not really about
supporting LL-only devices. The issue applies to any application
jusing LL addresses. Also if someone wants to build a LL-only device,
that is their issue, but this document doesn't need to explicitely
mention that case. Thus, text about LL only devices should just be
removed.

Third, there is text that suggests simultaneous use of LL and global
addressing (i.e., pick global if one wants to talk beyond the router,
use LL to restrict communication). This text is also inconsistent with
the recommendation to use LL only when another address is not
available.

I actually went about trying to come up with replacement text, but
concluded that all of the existing text in 2.8 (except for the first
paragraph) should just be deleted instead.

Requested Change:

Delete all of the existing text in 2.8 (except for the first paragraph).