Subject: WG ACTION: 1 week to discuss [LL49] Lower case 2 MUSTs

From: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 12:10:54 +0100 (MET)

Please review the following issue in the week ending 25 Mar 04.  If no
comments are received, the assumed action will be to accept the proposed
change.

----

LL49

Description of Issue: Lower case 2 MUSTs
Submitter Name:       Alex Zinin
Submitter Email:      
Date submitted:       20 Feb 04
Reference:            
(T=tech, E=edit):     E
Priority (S must, 1 Should, 2 May fix): S
Section:               Intorduction
Rationale/Explanation: 
Long Description:

> 1.  Introduction
...
>    Microsoft Windows 98 (and later) and Mac OS 8.5 (and later) already
>    support this capability.  This document standardizes usage,
>    prescribing rules for how Link-Local IPv4 addresses MUST be treated
>    by hosts and routers.  In particular, it describes how routers MUST
>    behave when receiving packets with IPv4 Link-Local addresses in the
>    source or destination address.  With respect to hosts, it discusses
>    claiming and defending addresses, maintaining Link-Local and
routable
>    IPv4 addresses on the same interface, and multihoming issues.
 
The two "MUST" above should be lower case.

Proposed Change:

from:

     Microsoft Windows 98 (and later) and Mac OS 8.5 (and later) already
     support this capability.  This document standardizes usage,
     prescribing rules for how Link-Local IPv4 addresses MUST be treated
     by hosts and routers.  In particular, it describes how routers MUST
     behave when receiving packets with IPv4 Link-Local addresses in the
     source or destination address.  With respect to hosts, it discusses
     claiming and defending addresses, maintaining Link-Local and
routable
     IPv4 addresses on the same interface, and multihoming issues.
 
to:

     Microsoft Windows 98 (and later) and Mac OS 8.5 (and later) already
     support this capability.  This document standardizes usage,
     prescribing rules for how Link-Local IPv4 addresses must be treated
     by hosts and routers.  In particular, it describes how routers must
     behave when receiving packets with IPv4 Link-Local addresses in the
     source or destination address.  With respect to hosts, it discusses
     claiming and defending addresses, maintaining Link-Local and
routable
     IPv4 addresses on the same interface, and multihoming issues.

----
Erik

---

From: Brad Hards <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 18:35:56 +1100

> The two "MUST" above should be lower case.
This is too subtle a change.

>      IPv4 addresses on the same interface, and multihoming issues.
Alternative:
Microsoft Windows 98 (and later) and Mac OS 8.5 (and later) already
support this capability.  This document standardizes usage,
prescribing rules for how Link-Local IPv4 addresses are to be treated
by hosts and routers.  In particular, it describes how routers are to
behave when receiving packets with IPv4 Link-Local addresses in the
source or destination address.  With respect to hosts, it discusses
claiming and defending addresses, maintaining Link-Local and
routable IPv4 addresses on the same interface, and multihoming issues.

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 10:14:01 -0500

I prefer the text Brad suggests...

- Ralph

At 06:35 PM 3/19/2004 +1100, Brad Hards wrote:
>-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>Hash: SHA1
>
>-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
>Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (GNU/Linux)
>
>iD8DBQFAWqLlGwwszQ/PZzgRAsyjAJ95IrgjY391tzMdwaCc8cmR+0h2BQCeIpK4
>sgcVV28wn+YhWBVdjoRhWFI=
>=AXvq
>-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----