Subject: WG ACTION: 1 week to discuss [LL44] Clarify higher layer protocol considerations

From: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:50:32 +0100 (MET)

Folks,

We need to determine if a change is needed for section 2.9.  Hopefully
Ted can clarify what exactly he wants changed in the next week.  If no
decision is reached on a change by March 24, 2004 - this issue will be
rejected.

----

LL44

Description of Issue: Clarify higher layer protocol considerations
Submitter Name:       Ted Hardie
Submitter Email:      
Date submitted:       20 Feb 04
Reference:            
(T=tech, E=edit):     T
Priority (S must, 1 Should, 2 May fix): 2
Section:              2.9
Rationale/Explanation: 
Long Description:

Section 2.9 says:

2.9.  Higher-Layer Protocol Considerations

  Similar considerations apply at layers above IP.

I think it would be valuable to say "Consideration similar to those in
Section XX apply at layers above IP", in case this text is excerpted
or the Higher-layer protocol consideration reader does not follow.
I'm also uneasy at the SHOULDs in this, and I have called out one
conflict in the text on the DNS front as a DISCUSS.  Basically,
though, the APPs layer should not need to know which interface is
being used for a specific operation, and that may not be the case
here. There are actually two risks here: that a reference to a
link-local address by an application will break because the entity
dereferencing it will not have access to that link-local address and
that an application will receive the wrong data because it can
dereference *something* at that address (possibly on a different
interface), but it is not the intended referent.  This is implied in
Sections 3.2 and 6.3, and forward references to those section here
would be useful in addition to the other references.

Proposed Change:

{text is needed}

----
Erik