Subject: Re: WG ACTION: 1 week continued discussion [LL70] DNAv4 normative or informative?

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 09:23:57 -0700 (PDT)

I think the resolution of LL 58 re-introduces a normative
dependency on [DNAv4].  The proposed resolution is:

"  This document uses the term "routable address" to refer to all valid
   unicast IPv4 addresses outside the 169.254/16 prefix that may be
   forwarded via routers.  This includes all global addresses and
   private addresses such as Net 10/8 [RFC1918], but not loopback
   addresses such as 127.0.0.1."

Yet the term "valid" is defined by reference to [DNAv4] in Section 1.9:

"
A valid routable address is a routable address that passes
the reachability test described in section 2 of "Detection of Network
Attachment (DNA) in IPv4" [DNAv4]."

My recommendation would be to delete the term "valid" from the
definition of "routable address", and also to delete the definition of
valid in Section 1.9 and add the following definition
to the terminology section:

   A "valid routable address" is a routable address which is either
   statically assigned or whose lease has not expired and that passes
   the reachability test described in section 2 of "Detection of Network
   Attachment (DNA) in IPv4" [DNAv4].

---

From: Robert Elz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 08:25:55 +0700

Date:        Mon, 31 May 2004 09:23:57 -0700 (PDT)
    From:        Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
    Message-ID:  <[email-masked]>

  | I think the resolution of LL 58 re-introduces a normative
  | dependency on [DNAv4].

Yes (that was always there), but ...

  |    A "valid routable address" is a routable address which is either
  |    statically assigned or whose lease has not expired and that passes
  |    the reachability test described in section 2 of "Detection of Network
  |    Attachment (DNA) in IPv4" [DNAv4].

does nothing to change that, it is still a normative reference.

kre

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 20:55:38 -0700 (PDT)

> does nothing to change that, it is still a normative reference.

The proposal is to make this a definition in the terminology section, and
remove all normative uses of the term "valid".   With the changes, the
only use of the term in the document is to describe ways in which an
address *might* be configured.