Subject: IPR notice regarding draft-ietf-zeroconf-IPv4-linklocal

From: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 00:35:59 +0200

The IETF has been notified that Apple has IPR related to
draft-ietf-zeroconf-linklocal-ipv4-13.txt. The referenced note also
includes licensing terms, consistent with the obligations under RFC 3668.

Implications for the WG:

The WG needs to be take this IPR (and the provided licensing terms)
into consideration and decide how or whether this new IPR issue in
anyway changes the WG's previous decision to request that the IESG
publish the zeroconf document as PS.  Note: the IESG's earlier concerns
with this document have been resolved.  According to the IESG the main
remaining hurdle to having this document approved/published is the IPR
issue that just came up.

http://www.ietf.cnri.reston.va.us/ietf/IPR/apple-ipr-draft-ietf-zeroconf-ipv4-l\
inklocal.txt

Erik Guttman & Thomas Narten

---

From: Alex Karahalios <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 17:40:28 -0700

Since utility patents filed before June 7, 1995 are granted for a 
period of 17 years, and since the Apple patents (4,661,902 & 4,689,786) 
were granted on April 28, 1987 and August 25, 1987 respectively, it 
seems to me that one of them has expired and the other will expire 
after August 25th this year. Is this really a problem, since the IESG 
will probably not be ready with the final draft, considering all the 
last minute issues that just came up for consideration?

I guess little guys like me will not be shipping products until 
September.

Alex Karahalios

---

From: Brad Hards <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 20:18:38 +1000

> remaining hurdle to having this document approved/published is the IPR
Can the WG chairs identify, or request Apple to identify, the specific claims 
that alleged to be applicable in each patent?

I am opposed to any Proposed Standard that requires RAND licensing. Apple can 
update it to reflect their proprietary "standard" and release it as an 
Informational RFC if they wish.

Brad

---

From: "John C. Welch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 06:53:23 -0500

> Informational RFC if they wish.

Before we get too worried about something that may or may not happen, what
is the history of similar circumstances and how has it played out? (I'd be
surprised if this is the first time this has happened)

john

-- 
If, while chugging a beer, the phrase, ³I bet this is going to be the last
coherent thought I have tonight,² runs through your head, get someone to
take you home. Now.

---

From: Mark C Wishneusky <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 16:02:00 -0400 (EDT)

remove

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Mark Wishneusky
System / Network Administator

(Home) 781-273-1736
(Comm) 508-647-6970
(Fax)  508-647-6971

E-Mail:	[email-masked]
	[email-masked]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark C Wishneusky <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 16:06:37 -0400 (EDT)

Sorry to all,

I used the wrong e-mail addy.  Please disregard the previous e-mail.

Thank you,
Mark

Mark Wishneusky

(Home) 781-273-1736
(Comm) 508-647-6970
(Fax)  508-647-6971