Subject: WG ACTION: 2 weeks to discuss [LL53] Forward references requested

From: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 01:00:06 +0200

Please post discussion of this issue to the mailing list over the 
next two weeks
ending May 18, 2004.  In order to accept this issued, we will need a strong WG
consensus given that this is very late in the process.

Please see http://www.drizzle.org/~aboba/ZEROCONF/issues.html for a list of
current issues and their status.

[LL53]

Description of Issue:		Forward references requested
Submitter Name:		Stuart Cheshire
Submitter Email Address:	[email-masked]
Date first submitted:		04 May 04
Reference:
Comment Type ['t'ech|'e'dit]:	e
Prio ['S' Must|1 should|2 may]:	1
Section:			1.3
Rationale/Explanation:
Lengthy Description:

[Stuart]

>    Link-layer technologies that support ARP but operate at rates below 1
>    Mbps or latencies above one second may need to specify different
>    values for the following parameters described in Sections 2.2, 2.3
>    and 2.4:
>
>    (a) the number of, and interval between, ARP probes,
>    (b) the number of, and interval between, ARP announcements,
>    (c) the maximum rate at which address claiming may be attempted, and
>    (d) the time interval between conflicting ARPs below which a host
>        MUST reconfigure instead of attempting to defend its address.

Aren't these all now parametrized in Section 9?

[Erik]

Yes, they are parameterized there.  However, the text here describes
what we are doing and why.

[Stuart]

Does "the number of, and interval between, ARP probes" refer to
PROBE_MIN, PROBE_MAX, PROBE_N, or NUM_PROBES? Why not just make it clear?

[Erik]

    Which of the following versions do you prefer?
    See 
http://www.drizzle.org/~aboba/ZEROCONF/draft-ietf-zeroconf-ipv4-linklocal-15.txt 

    in order to make sense of the 'Section references'

     A

    Link-layer technologies that support ARP but operate at rates below 1
    Mbps or latencies above one second may need to specify different
    values for the following parameters described in Sections 2.2.1, 2.4
    and 2.5:

    (a) the number of, and interval between, ARP probes,
    (b) the number of, and interval between, ARP announcements,
    (c) the maximum rate at which address claiming may be attempted, and
    (d) the time interval between conflicting ARPs below which a host
        MUST reconfigure instead of attempting to defend its address.

     B

    Link-layer technologies that support ARP but operate at rates below 1
    Mbps or latencies above one second may need to specify different
    values for the following parameters.

    (a) the number of, and interval between, ARP probes
        See NUM_PROBES, PROBE_MIN, PROBE_MAX defined in section 2.2.1

    (b) the number of, and interval between, ARP announcements,
        See ANNOUNCE_N and ANNOUNCE_INTERVAL defined in section 2.4

    (c) the maximum rate at which address claiming may be attempted
        See RATE_LIMIT_INTERVAL and MAX_COLLISIONS defined in section 2.2.1

    (d) the time interval between conflicting ARPs below which a host
        MUST reconfigure instead of attempting to defend its address
        See WATCH_WAIT defined in section 2.5

     Personally I slightly prefer A.  If you have an alternative
     proposal, please send text.

Requested Change:

Sec. 3.1 from

    Link-layer technologies that support ARP but operate at rates below 1
    Mbps or latencies above one second may need to specify different
    values for the following parameters described in Sections 2.2, 2.3
    and 2.4:

    (a) the number of, and interval between, ARP probes,
    (b) the number of, and interval between, ARP announcements,
    (c) the maximum rate at which address claiming may be attempted, and
    (d) the time interval between conflicting ARPs below which a host
        MUST reconfigure instead of attempting to defend its address.

to

    Link-layer technologies that support ARP but operate at rates below 1
    Mbps or latencies above one second may need to specify different
    values for the following parameters.

    (a) the number of, and interval between, ARP probes
        See NUM_PROBES, PROBE_MIN, PROBE_MAX defined in section 2.2.1

    (b) the number of, and interval between, ARP announcements,
        See ANNOUNCE_N and ANNOUNCE_INTERVAL defined in section 2.4

    (c) the maximum rate at which address claiming may be attempted
        See RATE_LIMIT_INTERVAL and MAX_COLLISIONS defined in section 2.2.1

    (d) the time interval between conflicting ARPs below which a host
        MUST reconfigure instead of attempting to defend its address
        See WATCH_WAIT defined in section 2.5

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 06:38:43 -0400

I'm neutral about the proposed change - doesn't seem necessary to me but I 
don't object to it.

- Ralph

At 01:00 AM 5/5/2004 +0200, Erik Guttman wrote:
>Please post discussion of this issue to the mailing list over the next two 
>weeks

---

From: "Philip Nye" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 11:02:19 -0000

I'm neutral about the proposed change.

Philip