Subject: Re: WG ACTION: 2 weeks to discuss [LL53] Forward references requested

From: Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 22:39:15 -0700

>     Personally I slightly prefer A.  If you have an alternative
>     proposal, please send text.

What I suggest is:

1. List the constants, with a brief explanation, and give the value. The 
brief explanation doesn't have to duplicate the full explanation which 
appears later -- just enough to demystify an otherwise opaque name.

2. State the technologies that may use other values.

e.g.

Section 1.3 "Constants"

   The following constants are defined here and referenced later in
   this document.

   START_WAIT           1 second   (initial random delay)
   PROBE_NUM            3          (number of probe packets)
   PROBE_INTERVAL       1 second   (time between probe packets)
   ANNOUNCE_NUM         2          (number of announcement packets)
   ANNOUNCE_INTERVAL    2 seconds  (time between announcement packets)
   RATE_LIMIT_NUM      10          (max collisions before rate limiting)
   RATE_LIMIT_INTERVAL 60 seconds  (delay between successive attempts)
   DEFEND_INTERVAL     10 seconds  (minimum time between defensive ARPs)

   These values are fixed for all implementations conforming to this
   standard. They MUST NOT be end-user configurable options, nor should
   the listing of the values here be taken to imply that each
   implementer is free to substitute other values instead, based on what
   they think will suit each device best. An important part of creating
   interoperable products is being able to depend on predictable
   behaviour from the other products you're interoperating with, and
   having arbitrary variation between different implementations would
   significantly undermine that ability.

   Future standards documents, extending IPv4 Link-Local Addressing to
   media types other than those covered in this document, may specify
   different values for these constants.

Section 1.4 "Applicability"

   ...

   Link-layer technologies that support ARP but operate at rates below 1
   Mbps or latencies above one second may need to specify different
   values for the constants listed in Section 1.3.

[delete the a/b/c/d list]

Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
 * Wizard Without Portfolio, Apple Computer, Inc.
 * www.stuartcheshire.org

---

From: "Elder, Alex" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 04:21:32 -0700

I have no objection to the suggestion to move
the parameters definition to the front of the
document.

Even if it is left in section 9, I think Stuart
has done a fine job with his proposed text.  It
addresses all of my original concerns about
parameterization and probing intervals.

One minor exception, I think the sentence that
begins, "An important part of creating interoperable
products..." is a bit preachy.

					-Alex

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
> Behalf Of Stuart Cheshire
> Sent: Friday, May 07, 2004 12:39 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: WG ACTION: 2 weeks to discuss [LL53] Forward references
> requested
> 
>