Subject: RFC 3927: now available in online RFC libraries

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 06:28:27 -0700 (PDT)

"Now it is done. Now the story ends. And there is no way to tell it. The
art of fiction is dead. Reality has strangled invention. Only the utterly
impossible, the inexpressibly fantastic, can ever be plausible again."

-- Red Smith

-----------------------------------------------------------------
RFC 3927 on Dynamic Configuration of IPv4 Link-Local Addresses

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3927

        Title:      Dynamic Configuration of IPv4 Link-Local Addresses
        Author(s):  S. Cheshire, B. Aboba, E. Guttman
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       May 2005
        Mailbox:    rfc at stuartcheshire.org, bernarda at microsoft.com,
                    erik at spybeam.org
        Pages:      33
        Characters: 83102
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None
        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-zeroconf-ipv4-linklocal-17.txt
        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3927.txt

To participate in wide-area IP networking, a host needs to be
configured with IP addresses for its interfaces, either manually by
the user or automatically from a source on the network such as a
Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) server.  Unfortunately,
such address configuration information may not always be available.
It is therefore beneficial for a host to be able to depend on a useful
subset of IP networking functions even when no address configuration
is available.  This document describes how a host may automatically
configure an interface with an IPv4 address within the 169.254/16
prefix that is valid for communication with other devices connected to
the same physical (or logical) link.

IPv4 Link-Local addresses are not suitable for communication with
devices not directly connected to the same physical (or logical)
link, and are only used where stable, routable addresses are not
available (such as on ad hoc or isolated networks).  This document
does not recommend that IPv4 Link-Local addresses and routable
addresses be configured simultaneously on the same interface.

This document is a product of the Zero Configuration Networking
Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to IETF-REQUEST at IETF.ORG.  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to RFC-DIST-REQUEST at RFC-EDITOR.ORG.

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to rfc-info at RFC-EDITOR.ORG with the message body
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: rfc-info at RFC-EDITOR.ORG
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to RFC-Manager at RFC-EDITOR.ORG.
Unless specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
RFC-EDITOR at RFC-EDITOR.ORG.  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to
RFC Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.

<ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc3927.txt>